Minimizing Shedding by Proper Hair Care Techniques
Shedding on a lace wig is to be expected due to the fact that the hair is hand tied by single knots and double knots to the lace material. To ensure that shedding is minimized, it is very important that proper care be taken at home during combing, styling and everyday use. Below are a few maintenance techniques which will help prevent excessive hair shedding:
1. Use Knot Sealer.
2. Do not Scratch your scalp through your lace wig as this will cause shedding. Instead, pat your head with your hand or remove your unit and treat your scalp with anti-itch shampoo and then moisturize your scalp.
3. Use a wide-tooth comb or wig brush (cushion brush). Comb from the tip up while holding the hair above so that you will avoid pulling at the knots.
4. Never comb your lace wig while wet. Prior to washing the hair make sure you comb it out thoroughly.
5. Use shampoos and conditioners formulated for chemical-treated hair.
6. You must thoroughly remove glue residue from our wig. Letting adhesives build up on your unit will cause shedding.
7. Do not blow dry or sit under a dryer with heat. We highly recommend letting your unit air dry after washing. If you must brow dry, make sure it is on a cool setting. Blow dryer heats will damage/split the knots causing shedding.
8. When sleeping in your unit it is best to braid up your hair so it does not tangle while you sleep. You should gently comb your wig out each night prior to wrapping it up in the scarf. Also it is very important that you wrap a silk or satin scarf or bonnet around your head, this will help to prevent friction which will cause breakage and/or shedding.